Calling All Judges for the 2020 Future City Competition!
The Annual Future City Competition is quickly approaching - Saturday, January 11th at The Armory at Sage College in Albany. The schools are signed up and students are busy preparing to compete. The competition is growing so we need your help to make this a successful and enriching experience for the students! We are in search of 80+ professionals interested in judging the Pre-Competition Deliverables and Competition Day. As professionals in the engineering and STEM fields, you have the ability to help shape the designers of the future!
The theme this year is Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow. Teams will identify threats to their city's water supply and design a resilient system to maintain a reliable supply of clean drinking water.
Here is a brief rundown of judging assignments and related time frames:
- Virtual City - Students design a virtual city using SimCity software and present their city's progress via a slideshow presentation.
- Assigned to judges by Dec. 6th. Judging due Dec. 27th
- (This will be the final year that SimCity is used in the competition.)
- City Essay - Students write a 1,500 word essay that describes their city and provides a solution to this year's Future City challenge.
- Assigned to judges by Dec. 17th. Judging due Jan. 6th.
Competition Day - January 11th
- Preliminary Judging (7:30 am - 12 pm)
- City Model - Students build a physical model of a section of their city using recycled materials, which must show a solution to this year's challenge, be built to scale, and include at least one moving part.
- City Presentation - Students give a 7-minute presentation discussing features of their Future City and their solution to the challenge, followed by a Q&A period from the judges.
- Special Awards Judging (7:30 am - 1 pm) - 6 judges
- Finals Judging (12 pm - 4 pm)
- 10 judges needed to select the winner - 5 for Presentations and 5 for Models
It's inspiring to see kids excited about science, technology, engineering and math, intent on improving our world!
Please use the link below to sign up as a Judge.
- Select one or all of the judging assignments you are available for and interested in.
- To sign up for Competition Day judging, select "Model and Presentation Judge".
Additional information for judges can be found at http://futurecity.org/judge-information.
Updated information will be posted to this website as it is received and more details will be provided as the competition gets closer.
Thanks in advance for helping us make the 2020 Future City Competition a success! The event would not be possible without all of your effort!
We look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to pass along this email to any colleagues and friends - we are always looking for new judges! With the growing competition, more student teams means we need more judges!
Amanda Joy & Heather Wyld
Future City Competition - Albany Region